Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"H" is for Homemaker

So my favorite blog - - has started a little contest 'Homemaker of the Week' and the prize is a $50 gift card to Lowe's (for more wood of course) and I would love to win so I can build more things for our home but I need as many votes as I can get.  Please head over to Ana's blog and vote for me!

To vote:
1. Simply click on the link above.
2. Click on my slot (#10 Letter Lady's Stools).
3. Then click VOTE at the bottom of the entries.

You can scroll down the page to see my entry (which looks like this)
Thank you for your vote.  If I do win I promise to make something great for my home with the Lowe's gift card and of course I'll blog about it so everyone can see how easy and gratifiying it can be to make something for your home.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

DIY Bench with Storage Baskets

Yes indeed I finished the bench for the back door and I can officially say my newest hobby is woodworking. It really was very easy to construct following Ana White's plans for the Easy Cube Bench from her blog

Sunday, September 19, 2010

DIY Step Stool

I'm on a woodworking spree - first the stools, then the bench (complete but needing a cushion)and now a step stool for the kids.

Friday, September 17, 2010

"T" is for Topiaries

Topiaries and tv too!

As you can see the tv has finally been installed but it was looking very lonely all by itself above the fireplace so I made some topiaries. Below is how I did the topiaries, of course there are lots of tutorials on how to construct these all over the Internet but here's my version.

- (2) styrofoam balls
- (2) sticks
- (2) clay pots
- (1) garland length of boxwood faux greens (Michael's - don't forget your coupon Mom!)
- cement mix of some sort
- plastic container to hold stick and cement
- styrofoam or floral foam to keep plastic container in place in clay pot
- spanish moss or other covering
- raffia or other ribbon

First I pulled all the boxwood stems off the garland and divided my pile in two in order to make two topiaries.

Then I just started poking the stems into the styrofoam ball with some spacing between each stem. I left a bare spot on the bottom side of the ball because I ran out of stems and it won't be seen.

Next to prepare the sticks I simply put them in the plastic drink containers and poured cement in. I did put some small rocks in too for added weight. And for some reason the cement I had took forever to dry.
All pieces ready for assembly:

Then I placed the plastic containers in the center of the clay pots (which I did put felt on the bottom of the pot so as not to scratch any surface). I stuffed some styrofoam pieces all around for a snug fit.

Then I made a hole in the greenery covered styrofoam ball and pushed in onto the stick with some hot glue. Next I covered the styrofoam pieces in the pot with spanish moss and tied on some raffia.
This was really a 'make with what I had' project so it's not perfect but it definitely livens up the lonely tv.

And the bench for the back door is nearly complete, just needs some paint.

Thursday, September 9, 2010